Sunday, July 25, 2010

Intro


Welcome. This is a blog about painting Warhammer miniatures. I wanted to create this to do two things. First, share my work with other hobby enthusiasts. Secondly, use this to motivate me to finishing some of the items I have started. I am hoping that 1 will move 2 along as well. I have two 40K armies, Eldar and Space Marines. (I am starting a Fantasy army as well, but until that is in full swing I will leave it from this blog.) Carrying on, I will admit my fondness for marines has wavered over the last few months and I am still learning how to play with the Eldar. However, one of the items that has increased my interest in the latter is finding a color pallet that I am excited about. I have done that and hope that my execution of painting will live up to my expressions as I see them with these toy soldiers. First I will start my favorite models in the line: Eldar Psykers. Farseers and especially Warlocks. My army plans are typically heavy with these chaps and I think their design is the best one out of a very well crafted line of miniatures. To the right is my first completed Farseer. I went with white armor to separate him as the HQ choice. The other accent colors are the same across the majority of the army so this will give you a solid base on what to expect.
Next we come to a Warlock. Eldar are typically painted in very flamboyant schemes by many players and I detest that treatment. When reading their fluff or background, they are described as a race of beings that are constantly fighting for survival, not so much domination or power. To me that sounds like practical colors for military actions would be prevalent. I know using practical in a description about imaginary aliens in an alternate universe is a stretch, but I can only step so far into that world, being from this one and all. You can see black armor, the hardest color to properly use, not because of application, but highlight. Even when it is properly painted, and I am not claiming mine is, black still lacks the ump that the majority of the other colors lend to the figures. Still, that is what I chose and I am quite happy with the results. The cloaks are grey, a very uniform grey, that is the main choice for everything in the army. It is plain, and not very flashy, but then again, I don't really think that it would be appropriate otherwise. The purple or pink colors that are here are the only real color actually and since they are reserved focal points on the models, I think that their sparsity emphasizes them more than say a model covered in a similar vibrant color. The traditional bone colors are used as well, not only on the model's other armor but on the base, to hopefully tie them all together. Silver or a derivation there of is the metallic.


I have a long way to go and my skills are no where near where I would like for them to be. That being said, first on the list is to finish out this squad of Warlocks. I will try to post some WIP pictures to show the various stages. Once this unit is complete, down to the base, I will work on the next one and so on until I have each unit completed before moving on. Speaking of WIP, here is the rest of the squad:

Tell me what you think! Click on the images for closer views. Please bear with my while I figure out the format for this thing.

3 comments:

  1. Alright patrick, I'm following this blog, so don't let me down!
    I did see a tip on another blog about painting black that I have yet to try. First, paint or prime the area grey. Then, use layers of black wash to build up the black, using the base grey color for your highlight. Here is link that explains it more: http://www.the-vanus-temple.com/?p=1365

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin good Gilla. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Dread. Pretty stoked to see it all fielded soon.

    ReplyDelete