Monday, August 9, 2010

HQ and Friends

Last time the HQ a Farseer had some unfinished bodyguards in the form of warlocks. Well, the full squad has been finished, based and varnished. I am happy with the overall quality, but I think that I could have done a better job after learning on these models what I wanted the group to look like. Click on all the photos for closer looks.

Here is a close up of one of the warlocks. I think this is one of the best figs in the game and by far my favorite in the line. The pose is excellent! The scheme here, like last week, is a gray cloak. I used Adeptus Battlegrey Foundation paint for, well, the foundation. Then, I covered the entire cloak with Fortress Grey. Then a thick wash of Badab Black. Next, and all of these were watered down, I built up shadows with the A.B.F from above, all the way to almost white. The Metals are simple; Bolt Gun with Mithril Silver highlights and Devlan Mud wash, followed by minor highlights of M. Silver where needed. The Rune Armor is Bleached Bone, as is the base which got the D. M. wash as well.
All Runes and the sword were a build up of Chaos Black to, fittingly, Warlock Purple. White was gradually mixed in straight W.P. to lighten it up to the highlight coloring. The eyes were a single dab of a lightened W.P. I wanted to try to give the sword an energy effect. I rate this at 75% success over all with 100% first attempt success.


Here is the final squad. I plan on increasing the number to between 7 and 10 in the long run, but I needed a minimum of 5 for now.




Here is a preview for next post. I don't I will have all 5 done this week, but here is what they will look like when I am finished. I know they aren't all colorful and flamboyant but I think they look pretty good. Better than the original palette which was all black with no metalics. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Now that is what I pictured a fire dragon would look like. The only suggestion I have would be to paint the eyes on the fire dragon as bright as the gem. Other than that, it was worth the wait ;)

    ReplyDelete